What is Adopt-a-Family?
Every year Closer to Home’s Adopt-a-Family program provides gift cards to over 400 vulnerable families in Calgary, so they can purchase food, basic necessities and gifts during the holiday season.
Donors are matched with a specific family and your donation is used to provide gift cards rather than physical gifts. This way, your adopted family can decide what their particular needs are during this season. Portions of each donation made are designated to Seasons of Hope to care for families throughout the year, and to cover the administrative costs of the program.
How Does This Work?
- Determine the family size you would like to adopt, based on the options available.
- Once you have decided, make your gift below.
- Interested in fundraising as a group? Contact our Fund Development department at email@example.com for information on creating your own online fundraiser!
- We will match you with a deserving family, and send you a note sharing some details about the family you have adopted.
With plenty of time to shop and wrap gifts, families will receive a gift card package purchased with your generous donation!
*You will receive more information about the unique family you have been matched with by December 20th or sooner.
Want to Participate but are Unable to Support an Entire Family?
Donate to Seasons of Hope. Donations made through Seasons of Hope will support families experiencing crisis or struggles during the holiday season and throughout the whole year.
Make Your Donation
Frequently Asked Questions for Donors
To ensure all participating families benefit equally, Closer to Home has determined gift values based on family size. As a result, each family receives financial support through gift cards for groceries and presents. In addition, we recognize the importance of supporting our families year-round, which is why each level includes an additional gift for Seasons of Hope.
Gift Value Guidelines
- Family of 2 ($325): Includes $100 for gifts, $150 for groceries, $50 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Family of 3 ($475): Includes $150 for gifts, $225 for groceries, $75 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Family of 4 ($625): Includes $200 for gifts, $300 for groceries, $100 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Family of 5 ($775): Includes $250 for gifts, $375 for groceries, $125 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & a $25 processing fee.
- Family of 6 ($925): Includes $300 for gifts, $450 for groceries, $150 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Family of 7 ($1,075): Includes $350 for gifts, $525 for groceries, $175 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Family of 8 ($1,225): Includes $400 for gifts, $600 for groceries, $200 towards the Seasons of Hope fund & $25 processing fee.
- Seasons of Hope ($____): Support families year-round with a gift amount of your choice.
Each family will be provided with gift cards to help them purchase gifts, groceries and needed items for their family. Items frequently in need include bedding, grocery gift cards, kitchen tools, clothing and more.
All Adopt-a-Family recipients are currently receiving services at Closer to Home or have been referred by a Family Support Worker or one of our partner agencies.
After the 2020 holiday season forced a change in our Adopt-a-Family process of receiving items for families, we requested feedback from our stakeholders (including donors, gift recipients and support workers) about how it went for families served. As a result of those conversations, Closer to Home recognized that financial donations are the most impactful and meaningful way we can support our families through community giving.
By providing gift cards to deserving families, they are empowered to make decisions that best meet the immediate needs of their family.
Thank you for continuing to participate in this vital initiative to support vulnerable families!
In order to help even more families, Closer to Home has created this special fund that will support families in need year-round. The Seasons of Hope Fund will help families avoid eviction, keep the lights on at home, put food on their table and more. Not only will you be supporting a family at Christmas time, a portion of your donation will be pooled with others to support multiple families year-round.
Each family will be provided with a package of gift cards to help them purchase gifts and groceries for their family. These will be distributed by our staff, using safety guidelines and precautions set out by Alberta Health Services.
Adopt-a-Family corporate sponsors ensure hundreds of local families can access support during the holidays. Sponsorships provide Closer to Home with the ability to dedicate the necessary resources towards this important annual initiative. And it’s a great way to engage your employees in a meaningful cause in our community!